23 April 2009

Mon dieu


Some people, when they’re feeling miserable, fixate on raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Stuff and nonsense! This afternoon I took my snivelling self out of the sunshine and into the depths of the Renoir Cinema, stopping only to dash into a corner shop for a mini-bottle of cheap red wine. I sank into a nice velvet chair, and settled in for an afternoon of the Nouvelle Vague.

No-one does misery like the French. I’ve loved Truffaut’s Les Quatre Cent Coups since I was a teenager, when I would close the curtains and slump in front of the VHS videoplayer for entire afternoons at a time, emerging only for light snacks and to moan about the unfairness of being born in a small village in the Lake District instead of the Left Bank.

I can safely say, that as the level in the mini-bottle sank, and I ran out of tissues, I was as gripped as I was all those years ago. Poor old world. Poor old Antoine Doinel. Poor old moi. Quel cafard!

I came out an hour and a half later thoroughly refreshed. There’s nothing like seeing the misery of a teenager to put your problems in perspective. Especially a French one.

3 Comments:

Blogger LeDuc said...

Why are you watching it there?! It's a BFI film, restored by us, distributed by us, and you watch it in someone else's cinema?! No sense of loyalty whatsoever, I'm afraid.

Although, in fairness to you, their seats are comfier.

9:25 pm  
Blogger Lady V said...

Purely ease of access from the library, old thing. I did try to go to the BFI, three times but I kept getting the wrong time of day. Well done for restoring it though. Top marks!

10:18 pm  
Blogger albeo said...

Sometimes the Italians do misery better than the French, if I may say, but then they turn to melodrama. It's their weakness...

7:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home