20 February 2009

Fan mail

It's been a strange week. Most of it filled with the excruciating completion of interviews in which they make you complete a list - not the good to-do kind but the 10-best ridic sort, where you have to lie about everything in order to build up a picture of yourself that people might like and so buy your book.

Virginia Woolf-Burgers, anyone?

So this morning, nursing a brandy hangover, thanks to the Polly scamps (Courvoisier and Prince, (couldn't possibly, oh go on then, one for the road) and reading The Tiger Who Came To Tea to baby Agnes, it was an extraordinary relief to see something from the heart, which came through the post from an old vicar, who lives, judging from the postmark, somewhere Up North.

'I read your article in the Guardian last Saturday and was greatly moved by it. Thank you for writing it. These matters are very difficult for the Brits. I have had the privilege of listening to what I suppose I would call 'people with confused sexuality' many times. Until I read your carefully and beautifully written piece I was the confused one. It really helps if people are prepared to be honest and open. In the present time of relationship insecurity we need to know how people feel and to understand their deepest needs. I suspect yours, in spite of what seems to be an incredibly understanding family, has often been a lonely journey.'

My daughter, at the age of 39, is now pregnant with twins following IVF - first go. It is an exciting and worrying time for us all - please God all with go well. They are due in June/July. My son, O, married J some ten years ago and she had a child conceived in a lesbian relationship with the help of a homosexual friend. It has not all been plain sailing for them as J fell in love with O and the previous partner, who had shared legal custody, was hurt. Nevertheless, R is an amazing, understanding teenager, and doing fine.

My sister, S, has a daughter W, who has a stable relationship with her partner B and two homosexual men, one of whom, J, has parented the wonderful G. Now 11 and incredibly bright, he is fantastic, not spoilt but reared lovingly by two fathers, two mothers and a host of grand parents.

My wife and I hope that you and A. will be able to have a baby and we know that if that is that case he or she will be a very fortunate child.'

I'm not posting this because I'm trying to show off. It actually made me cry.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

"I have had the privilege of listening to what I suppose I would call 'people with confused sexuality' many times."

You and me both, honey. They do BANG ON.

But very touching. See, you are shaping hearts and minds.

7:22 pm  
Blogger Tom said...

Btw, the writing didn't look familiar, did it? Like a certain Northern vicar you might know? ;)

7:24 pm  
Blogger Pavlusha34 said...

After reading that out loud to M, she asks, "Is that Thought for the Day?"

8:08 am  
Blogger albeo said...

I got a little lost with the lettering...

9:08 am  
Blogger albeo said...

Time to start blogging again dear. Pills are no excuse for depriving us of your wonderful prose, which as we know the Americans now love A LOT.
;-)

9:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home