19 October 2007

Chim chiminey, chim chiminey, chim chim cheroo

Yesterday I had my chimney cleaned by a nice man called Austin.

“I’ve got a 9 foot rod,” he told me proudly.

Attached to it was a spiky brush. He said I should go onto the balcony, watch for it appear out of the chimneypot and make a wish. He said it would definitely come true.

I need all the help I can get at the moment. I climbed out of the window and wished, eyes closed and everything.

He took away 4 bags of soot and a dead baby bird. I snivelled a bit when I saw it but managed to divert his attention by making a cup of tea.

My chimney flue is now honeymoon fresh. I am looking forward to a winter of sitting in my armchair, feet up, eating toasted crumpets with lashings of butter, reading Dickens and quaffing port. I may even take to smoking a pipe and wearing tweed. Find a lady companion called, possibly, Agatha. Hell, I might go so far as to develop a mild case of gout.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I admire the image, I'm not entirely sure that port goes with buttered crumpets. Are you sure?

9:48 pm  
Blogger Lady V said...

Port is a versatile sort of drink. Any time, any place, anywhere....

10:19 am  
Blogger bogart said...

what about sherry???and who's Agatha?

10:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but the only possible drinks to take with buttered crumpet are either tea or sparkling water. Anything else is Just Plain Wrong.

Although mention of sherry... well, maybe a chilled Fino...

Sorry, mouth started watering there.

Talking of anytime anyplace anywhere, has anyone found Youtube copies of the Joan Collins/Leonard Rossiter adverts? They were among the classiest ads ever made.

12:04 pm  
Blogger FKJ said...

would you settle for a marjorie?

7:54 pm  
Blogger albeo said...

red wine springs to mind. not sure why...

1:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home