19 November 2006

Spinster

This is no way to go on.
Get wise. Accept. Be
a spinster of this parish.
My life's in shards.
I will keep fit in leotards.

Go vegetarian. Accept.
Support good causes.
Be frugal, circumspect.
Keep cats. Take tidy fits.
Go to evening classes.
Keep a nest-egg in the bank.
Try Yoga. Cut your losses.
Accept. Admit you're a bit of a crank -

Oh, I may be a bit of a crank
but still I get by, frugally. Think positive.
I live and let live. Depend
on nobody. Accept.
Go in for self-improvement.
Keep up with trends.
I'll cultivate my conversation.
I'll cultivate my friends.
I'll grow a herbaceous border.
By hook or crook I'll get my house in order.

Liz Lochead, Dreaming Frankenstein, 1984

2 Comments:

Blogger FKJ said...

life according to greta (garbo)

“Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.”
SO IT's NORMAL TO BE GRUMPY!!!

“Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it.”
NO ONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO WITH IT!!


“You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life.”
ERRRRRRRRR....WELL THAT NEEDS NO EXPLANATION


“Every one of us lives his life just once; if we are honest, to live once is enough”
ERRRRRRRRR....THANKS GRETS

“I'm afraid of nothing except being bored”
AND BEING OUT OF GIN AND SMOKES


“Your joys and sorrows. You can never tell them. You cheapen the inside of yourself if you do tell them.”
ERM....YES....UHM....

“There seems to be a law that governs all our actions so I never make plans.”
THE TOT WAY OF LIFE

“There is no one who would have me - I can't cook.”
OH DEAR. BROTH ANYONE?

4:33 am  
Blogger Lady V said...

Oh tots, you always cheer me up!

6:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home